Fidelity Free TurboTax: Eligibility & How To Download (2023)

Welcome to our guide on how to get TurboTax for free from Fidelity for the 2023-2024 tax season.

Fidelity customers have the opportunity to take advantage of this exclusive offer, which allows them to file their taxes with TurboTax Premier Online at no cost.

In this tutorial, I will be covering two things:

• Who’s eligible for the Fidelity free TurboTax program.
  • How to claim your offer.

Fidelity Free TurboTax Requirements

Fidelity’s TurboTax Premier deal isn’t explicitly outlined on its website. The following requirements are supported by past experiences and data.

Fidelity customers who do not meet the requirement can still get TurboTax for cheaper. You’ll get up to $20 off TurboTax federal products: TurboTax Online, TurboTax Live, and TurboTax desktop downloads.

How To Download Your Free Fidelity TurboTax Premier

To check if you qualify for the free TurboTax offer:

Step 1: Log in to your Fidelity account. Use a web browser, not your Fidelity mobile app.

Step 2: Once logged in, navigate to the Summary tab for All Accounts.

Step 3: Scroll down to the bottom of the page. If your Fidelity account is eligible for the free TurboTax software, you’ll see a text that says, “Get TurboTax Online Premier free.”

Step 4: Click on Get started now to redeem your offer.

Some users reported their free offer didn’t show up until January. Be patient if it’s not visible immediately.

If the TurboTax Premier offer is not visible in your account summary, it indicates that you are not eligible. Remember that this offer is exclusively available to “select Fidelity customers.”

Reported Problems and Solutions

Trouble finding the offer: Some couldn’t locate the free TurboTax option. Suggestions included:

Preference for desktop version: Finding the desktop TurboTax version was challenging. Solutions offered:

• Accessing the TurboTax download link directly via this link.
  • Searching for the desktop product by using the “help” feature on the site.

[Amazon Exclusive] Get TurboTax for $37.99

While Fidelity’s offer is enticing, not all Fidelity customers qualify. In fact, most aren’t eligible.

I found a deal on Amazon for TurboTax software from $37.99. I believe this is the lowest price available.

Final Thoughts

Eligibility for Fidelity’s free TurboTax offer appears to vary based on undisclosed criteria.

The easiest way to check if your account is eligible for the free TurboTax download is by checking the Account Summary page in your Fidelity account.

💬 Community Discussion

Pete D:

Seems kinda pointless to me – most millionaires are going to need a CPA, not an off the shelf product. Why not give it to the ones who’d actually use it?

William H:

Fidelity needs to provide more helpful information regarding the free version of TurboTax for its clients.

Upon logging into my account, I received a notification that I was eligible for the free TurboTax Premier version. My Fidelity financial advisor was unable to provide an answer to my queries. Therefore, I purchased the TurboTax CD at Costco at a reduced price and used my usual method to prepare my taxes.

Cara B:

Fidelity gave me the opportunity to complete my taxes with TurboTax at no cost! I had planned on using TurboTax regardless, but the added benefit of getting the Premier version for free was a fantastic bonus.

James S:

Fidelity is fantastic! I have a tip for anyone completing their taxes with TurboTax! On the summary page for my portfolio investments, I scrolled down to the bottom and discovered a link for TurboTax that stated I could do my taxes at no cost! I had already planned to use TurboTax, but now I can do so without any additional cost. I am extremely pleased with this.

Diego, a seasoned financial analyst in New York, brings a decade of expertise to guiding financial decisions. As a blogger for UseFidelity.com, he simplifies finance, offering insights on Fidelity Investments. Beyond numbers, he explores NYC's culture and enjoys capturing moments through his photography.

8 thoughts on “Fidelity Free TurboTax: Eligibility & How To Download (2023)”

1. Hello, based on the article above I meet both requirements. I am listed as a Premium Services customer on their summary page. I do not have the free turbo tax listed on the summary page but when I use the search box for “Free turbo tax” it takes me to the $20 off offer and not the free offer. Any advice is appreciated.

• You should call Fidelity customer service at 800-343-3548. If you are a Premium Services customer, the offer should be visible within your account.

2. Thank you Diego for your response. Looks like I am one of the unlucky clients this tax season. I contacted Fidelity and here is their response.

“Thank you for contacting us regarding free TurboTax Premier online. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us through secure message, and I am happy to offer my assistance.

Each year we have a certain number of free TurboTax offers that we are able to extend to our customers. I regret to inform you we were unable to offer it to you this year. We value your business and certainly apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. The good news is that we are able to offer you up to $20 off of TurboTax online. You can locate a link to this offer through your “Accounts & Trade” tab under “Tax Forms & Information.” “

• You’re welcome, Clive!

I appreciate you sharing the response you received from Fidelity, and I’m glad to hear that they were able to offer you a discount on TurboTax online.

3. Hi, Set up turbotax account for premier version very quickly via the Fidelity link upon login.
    If I fill in the info on the online questions, but answers change, ie cost basis has to be adjusted, incorrect data entered but caught in time, etc. does program allow multiple changes before submitting return?
    Will turboTax charge me once I submit the return?
    Thanks,
    gr

4. I did not find this article very helpful because it omits a crucial fact that my Private Client advisor provided when I told him that I could not access the “free” TurboTax offer. YOU MUST SELECT THE BETA VIEW on your Portfolio Summary page. Once I did this, the process was easy because that view displays the panel with a link to the TurboTax offer. For the record, if you elect to download TurboTax instead of using the online version, TurboTax Premier costs $5. Only the online version is truly free.

5. Can you upgrade this with cash to home & business? Also, can you let someone else use your turbo tax, provided they have access to your fidelity account?

Thanks!

• If you use the download version, you can upgrade to Home & Business for $15 after you install the product. It was $10 in previous years. If you use the online version, I don’t think you can get the better version just by paying the difference. Go to Help -> Upgrade TurboTax.

Leave a Comment