How to Enable Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) on Fidelity

There are several ways to secure your Fidelity account login. The first is to have a strong password. Second, if you have the Fidelity app, you can enable Touch ID or Face ID. Lastly, to add one extra step to make your Fidelity account secure, you can enable Two-Factor Authentication (2FA).

Does Fidelity have 2 factor authentication?

Yes, two-factor authentication method is available and can be enabled for your Fidelity account.

Here’s how 2FA works on Fidelity

In addition to your Fidelity username and password, a second factor, usually a randomly generated code, is required to complete the login process. This code can be sent to your phone number via text message. This extra layer of security helps protect against hackers.

How to enable two factor authentication on Fidelity

Here’s how you can enable two factor authentication (2FA) on Fidelity.

1. Login to your Fidelity account.
  2. Go to the Security Center.
  3. Under Extra login security, select Enable for 2-Factor Authentication at Login.
  4. Verify and confirm your identify by text or call.

Once 2FA is enabled for your Fidelity account, you can enjoy the extra layer of security.

Moving forward, you will be asked for a security code after you login. The code will be sent to your phone via text message or automated call.

Can I use the Google Authenticator app with Fidelity?

Google Authenticator is a popular app that generates 2-step verification codes on your phone. Unfortunately, this method is not available on Fidelity at the moment.

Comments:

David B:

We used Symantec VIP. It’s very easy to use for all brokerage accounts. I couldn’t imagine someone hacking both the password and the 2-factor authentication for my dollars. The most important thing is to keep that cell phone locked and secured.

Huy N:

I would use Symantec VIP, but it doesn’t give me any backup codes. So if I lose my phone, I’m locked out of my account forever. Fidelity’s 2FA system sucks right now.

1 post – 1 participant

Diego, a seasoned financial analyst in New York, brings a decade of expertise to guiding financial decisions. As a blogger for UseFidelity.com, he simplifies finance, offering insights on Fidelity Investments. Beyond numbers, he explores NYC's culture and enjoys capturing moments through his photography.

1 thought on “How to Enable Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) on Fidelity”

1. I came here because I’m at another financial services that only uses cell phone for 2FA. I was an SVP of IT in another Fortune 500 finserv firm and did cyber work int he US government. This is not a secure process because SIM swapping is too easy. Also, I agree that the Symantec product should allow key export. If fidelity allowed use of Authy or email — email is far more secure than cell phone — I’d move my accounts today. Sorry, Fidelity.

Leave a Comment