Anyone have an opinion regarding FCNTX (contra fund) vs. FBGRX (Blue Chip Growth) in 2022? Which is the better fund?
- FCNT has an expense ratio of 0.86% while FBGRX is slightly cheaper with an expense ratio of 0.79%.
- Fidelity Contrafund’s (FCNTX) goal is to invest in underappreciated stocks. It seeks capital appreciation.
- Fidelity Blue Chip Growth Fund (FBGRX) invests 80% of its assets in mid to large-cap companies. The fund targets companies that are well-established with above-average growth potential.
- FCNTX and FBGRX are both mutual funds from Fidelity.
- Morningstar classified both funds as “Large Blend.” Which means they have similar compositions.
- FBGRX pays dividends to shareholders twice a year. Every September and December.
- FCNTX also distributes dividends twice a year. Every February and December.
- Their top 10 holdings include FB, AMZN, MSFT, AAPL, GOOGL, CRM
|Funds||Fidelity® Contrafund® Fund||Fidelity® Blue Chip Growth Fund|
|Price||16.65 (NAV)||156.64 (NAV)|
|3-year total return||+28.93%||+38.49%|
|3-year standard deviation||17.67%||21.03%|
|Net expense ratio||0.86%||0.79%|
|Total net assets||128.73bn USD||52.72bn USD|
We asked our community of Fidelity investors and here’s what they have to say about FCNTX and FBGRX.
Let’s find out which fund is a better investment for your portfolio.
I can tell you I have had FCNTX for at least 10 years and my growth is 98%, nearly doubling. I bought back then and held.
I have had FCNTX for over 10 years. Don’t want to let it go just yet. But I also like FZROX!
Most of the money I have been putting in has been in Contra FCNTX through the years. I have also done some trading in a few stocks but not a lot.
I sold a lot of shares this year to buy other things. I still have good percentage of FCNTX in my portfolio. It isn’t a huge growth fund anymore, but it is a pretty safe one.
FBGRX has a similar composition and returns to FCNTX. I made the switch last year because I was tired of the high fee for contra fund.
I’ve held FCNTX fund since 2009 and it absolutely sucks. Sold a bunch a few years ago to buy $AYX, $TWLO, $PD and $CRWD and I’m up so much more with those than this fund. You can do better folks!